How to make the upgraded bean better {please read devs!}

PREFACE
I support the changing and updating of the body, however I don’t support recroom’s stance on not listening to the masses and choosing the outliers of people who aren’t affected by these changes to focus on

Starting Off
so there’s a lot of people who hate the new bean, and for good reason. sliding on VR is incredibly disorientating, having your body detach from your head and your hands don’t follow, it messes with hitboxes. in the opinion of a lot of people, including myself, this feature is underdeveloped and needed more testing before literally forcing some people to use it.

THE ANIMATIONS:
firstly, the animations, for sliding on VR the animation should be removed as it is unnecessary and messes with hitboxes which negatively affects games like laser tag and post gun based pvp games. as slide spamming makes it nearly impossible to be hit.

secondly, running on screen mode feels like the devs have grabbed something for free from the unity store and just slapped it on, I feel as if making something that fits the original style more where the hands don’t move, or something that looks bubbly and happy like rec rooms art style could work.

lastly, bobbing on VR, this again shouldn’t be a thing for people on VR as it makes movement feel unnatural and looks off.

COSTUMES

Releasing the new beans without a new or updated costume dummy is actually just a stupid decision that hasn’t helped your “connecting with the community” ideals, and is a huge oversight I and many others are incredibly upset and mad about, which has not helped to paint the new beans in a good light. It’s ironic that a game that prides itself on creation to punish a huge portion of its creative community with a new change they didn’t take the time they needed to on.

THE BEAN

Bending, great feature, I love it personally, but, its the reason costumes are broken, and it can look weird at times, it causes screen modes to awkwardly bend backwards, swapping between the old and new bean in the settings breaks the face.

If these issues were fixed i beleive that people would be more willing to use the new body

Hmm, interesting feedback. I don’t believe people are being forced to use the new bean body, have you seen anyone experience that? You can find the option to disable it here:

However they may be removed this feature in the near future, check out their blog about it here: Upgraded Bean

I agree the animation for the new bean bodies looks jarring. (I believe it’s a slightly modified version of the fully body locomotion animations.) Keeping to the spirit of the old bean movement would be nice.

When you mentioned “slide spamming” makes it impossible to be hit, does it make projectiles not register hits? Or does the animation move the bean body so much it makes it difficult to hit? I think this would be valuable to the devs if they know projectiles just fly through you while you’re sliding. :thinking:

On your point about costumes, RecRoom is currently working on a new development feature for creators that will allow you to create avatar items that you can wear officially in the game. I think this is the best path forward for any kind of costumes update, you can find out more about it here: Avatar Studio

Can you elaborate a little more on how costumes are broken? Are the bean bodies clipping through makerpen made costumes? If so, I think that may be an issue with the legacy costume dummies, since their bodies cannot bend the mesh, the “full body costume dummy” should fix that as it has multiple segments that can emulate the bend.

Actually, my brother, for example, doesent have the “go to old bean (deprecated)” button. So they are forcing It on some people.

Its a split test for quest users i think

I really dislike the animations and the grabbing feature. I get the better performance parts but it looks so goofy aah when the back is bending so much!

2 Likes